Pages

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Mtskheta

Mtskheta was capital of the early Georgian Kingdom of Iberia during the 3rd century BC – 5th century AD. It was the site of early Christian activity, and the location where Christianity was proclaimed the state religion of Georgia in 317.
It is located approximately 20 kilometers north of Tbilisi. You can easy get there by minibus ("marshrutka") from the bus station at the subway ("metro") station Didube . And I did just that on my second day in Tbilisi. I do not know how it happened but I missed stop where I had to get off. "No problem," - said driver, turned around and dropped me at the proper place. Such kindness and readiness to help is very common in Georgia. It is just normal way to treat people.

Svetitskhoveli Cathedral







To Jvary monastery I walked. Firstly up the stream along Aragvi river, passed the small pedestrian bridge,  crossed highway on the left bank of Aragvi and continued up the mountain by the trail through a forest and meadow.



Jvari Monastery



View of Mtskheta and the confluence of the Aragvi and Mtkvari rivers.

No comments:

Post a Comment